Connect with us

The Online Technology

Florida Man’s Apple AirPod Started Smoking, Blew Up, He Says


Headphones

Florida Man’s Apple AirPod Started Smoking, Blew Up, He Says

'It's the craziest thing I ever went through,' the man told Tampa's WFLA. 'I saw white smoke start billowing out.'

A Florida man claims one of his Apple AirPods recently overheated in his ear, then blew up.

Jason Colon was working out a gym in St. Petersburg, Fla., listening to music on his wireless earbuds when "white smoke start billowing out," he told Tampa news outlet WFLA. "It's the craziest thing I ever went through."

When he noticed something was up, Colon removed the AirPods from his ears, placed them on a piece of workout equipment, and walked away to get help, according to the report. When he got back, he was shocked to see that the right AirPod had popped open, exposing its charred innards.

Related

"I didn't see it happen, but I mean, it was already fried," he told WFLA. "You can see flame damage."

Real Life. Real News. Real Voices

Help us tell more of the stories that matter

Become a founding member

Apple did not immediately respond to PCMag's request for comment, but a spokeswoman told WFLA that the company is investigating the incident and will reach out to Colon, who was not injured.

One Australian woman knows all too well what could have happened. Last March, the woman was sleeping on a plane when the pair of Beats headphones she was wearing exploded, casing injuries to her face and neck. Apple, which owns Beats, reportedly refused to compensate the woman for the incident, claiming a faulty third-party battery caused the headphones to explode.

Read more

Subscribe to the newsletter news

We hate SPAM and promise to keep your email address safe

Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

To Top