Shift Cryptosecurity, a spinoff of the ETH Zürich national university, specializing in cryptosecurity and Bitcoin core development, announced today that pre-orders for its two new BitBox02 hardware wallet editions are now open, with shipping expected next month.
The regular BitBox02 supports Bitcoin (BTC), Litecoin (LTC), Ethereum (ETH) and ERC20 tokens, with the Shift Cryptosecurity team also making available a Bitcoin (BTC)-only edition.
“Our long-term mission is to create an ecosystem of open-source hardware and software products that equip you for financial independence. The BitBox02 and the BitBox02 Bitcoin only edition provide the security you need, your foundation. The physical keys to your digital world. So, we’re giving you the choice to maximize your crypto options or further minimize the attack surface when hodling only bitcoin.”
– The Shift Cryptosecurity Team
The BitBox02 cryptocurrency hardware wallet enables users to independently generate and securely store their private keys. It can also be used as a second-factor authenticator (FIDO compliant U2F).
Navigating the BitBox02 is made easy using 3 simple gestures. Use tap, slide and hold for password entry and navigating when making a transaction. The unique “hold” gesture ensures users won’t make any accidental transactions.
Backups are made instantly to a microSD card and can be managed from the BitBox desktop application. The device connects directly using USB-C plugs and comes with an optional USB-C to A adaptor.
A secure chip is used for seed protection, brute-force prevention, and device password hardening. All confirmations, including all transaction details before signing, are verified on the OLED screen.
Unique Features of the BitBox02
- Offline, anytime backup and recovery with a micro SD card
- Native software client avoids security risks of browser-based clients
- Plausible deniability with hidden wallets and backups
- Portable case filled with epoxy and packed with security
- The subtle design avoids unwanted attention
- Fully open source
- On-device display for secure transaction verification
- On-device touch buttons for secure password and seed entry
- Swiss ideals – quality, privacy, no backdoors